Thursday, April 27, 2017

Cheaper by Two Dozens

I like birthdays. I think birthdays are great; it's a way to remember that you were once a baby who only lie there in someone's arms and boss people around, when those are also the people who had to fight tooth and nail to bring you into this world and (hopefully) to raise you, up to the point where you actually deserve to boss people around. I say deserve because I hope you'll get there... but once you're there, you really don't have to.

If you are reading this, chances are, you are my friend and you knew already that I turned 24 this April. If you did send me birthday wishes, showered me with love and gifts and threw me a celebration, THANK YOU. I cannot thank you enough. You know I'm a bit of an attention whore and therefore I could always use a day where I'm the star and people would think and behave in my favour. Yep. I'm not a #GirlBoss. More of a #BossBaby kind of gal.

The truth of the matter is I was kind of nervous turning into this age. I realise now how closer I am to all the stories about growing up that adults always told me. I don't actually believe in the 'quarter life crisis' but for some reason it does look real. I don't know if it's a very millennial thing to do, but I like talking about adulting and how it feels like a challenge most of the time, but also, as one by one those stories become true... I'm scared.

Inner circle getting smaller and smaller: Check.

Less and less knowledge of what's up-to-date: Check.

Feel the need to do some exercise due to body not getting enough work out: Check.

Attending weddings which invitations are not addressed to mom or dad: Check.

Witnessing friends building a family: Check.

Paying bills and taxes: Check.

I could go on, but the list will bore you to death, so, here's what I wanna tell my 24-year-old self:

You're not Kylie Jenner. You're not 19 years old and have the whole teenage population of the world watching your every move and every breath you take on Snapchat. In fact, nobody actually gives a shit about you. The ones who do, they actually want to do it, so help me God, please, give a shit about them. You are important, yes. But you're not the most important person. Cherish every person who cares and loves and gives a shit about you. Every person who hold space for you. Every person who, even though they don't treat you the way you wish they do, actually only have the best of interest for you. You know they are there in your life. Not by a lot, but they are there. Give them some credit. Love them, care for and about them. Stop thinking like they will regret it. They won't. They want to be here. You didn't push them for it. You probably didn't even invite them. Can't you see how lucky you are? 
Oh, and please... stop being a baby. 


1 comment: