Monday, June 8, 2020

Participant of History

By the time I'm writing this, it is almost day 90 of my working from home due to self-quarantine / social distancing / lockdown / whatever you wanna call it.

If you ask me what has happened in the past 90 days in quarantine, where time is clearly just a man-made concept and every boundaries between our professional and personal life are blurred, I would say... honestly, probably more than what would typically happen within a 90 day period of my normal life (where I would just work, go to yoga, and try to get enough sleep / drink enough water / call my mom often enough).

Here's a recap of what happened in the past 90-ish days:

  1. Had a beautiful, blissful business trip to Labuan Bajo, met komodo dragons, saw some of the most beautiful sunrise / sunset in my life.
  2. Cooked a lot more dishes than I thought I would ever do before I actually raise a family. (God, I miss Blue Apron)
  3. Broke quarantine protocols for someone I've known for about a year and seem to care about me.
  4. Had my quarantine birthday. Hey, I'm 27!!!
  5. The person I broke quarantine protocols for says he loves me. I know I don't, but I start to try to care more, and then he thinks he's into somebody else and I got blocked on social media. Love is a loaded word. Careful when to use it.
  6. In light of #5, I lost that person. Currently trying to live my life with that knowledge. Will take some getting used to but at least... It doesn't hurt as bad as the last time I actually had to lose someone from my life.
  7. But worry not, because quarantine (1) brings SO MANY old flames to ask about how you are doing / whether Coronavirus has killed you, and (2) brings EVEN MORE new, exciting flames. Maybe you won't EVER meet them in person once quarantine is over, but that's not exactly why they're there anyways. You just needed someone to fill your time with. And that's what they serve to be. If after this quarantine ends they're gone, who cares? (Please remind me to read this again once quarantine is REALLY over?)
  8. Too many people have said quarantine makes me (1) have better skin (2) looks brighter, probably because of enough sleep (3) and slimmer face, possibly because of... AGE :)
  9. Quarantine means less time to actually date in real life, and so much texting has led to too many people saying (1) I remind them of their last ex (2) I remind them of their most beloved ex (this happened more than once...) and (3) I am their female version (this also happened more than once...)
  10. A colleague recommended me a tarot reader on youtube who she thinks is right a lot of ways, and so far she's been right about (1) My May love life (2) My June love life, although it has just started (3) who my soulmate is, and where i would meet them (4) my spirit guide -- not-so spoiler alert: It's a guy, or even if it's not a guy, it's a very strong, masculine-energy woman.
  11. My parents -- They are still healthy and loving in their own ways. But one or two discussions about each of their families definitely made me think differently about the concept of my personal wealth, about my relationship with family, about my future... I don't know if it's me being older (and hopefully wiser) but I'm responding to it differently now.
  12. I got an infection. A curable one. But I definitely thought I'm too smart to get this. I'm not. I was wrong. Don't do what I did.
So you see - it has been a very long 90 days. Very wild, but not as exciting. If I have to choose between this and normal days, I'd choose normal days still... I may have to fight and struggle like 500% more, but at least it won't be point 1-11 above. I'm exhausted now. All in all, it was my privilege to be a participant of history, where we're being heroes just by sitting on our ass at home. But it's exhausting, too. In a very privileged way I would say, it is exhausting too.

No comments:

Post a Comment