Sunday, July 17, 2011

A Piece of This Generation


I went to Singapore this weekend for two reasons: shopping and Harry Potter. Okay well, I need to be honest in my own blog. Honestly there's only one reason, which is the reason #1 but the second one stands because I planned to go to the cinema once I'm there and I chose that one. I have to tell you this: I'm not a Harry Potter reader and not a fan either. But even then, I have to say that the movie was fantastic! It's probably not Oscar-worthy or something like that, but it's fantastic in a way that it's the last part of such a huge saga, and truth be told that the Harry Potter series is our generation's heritage (I need to say more, because I don't really wanna inherit the Twilight saga). I can see myself someday buying my kids the Harry Potter series if they love fantasy books (or books in general), or playing those 8 movies in marathon at home with my family, and even better, I can see Harry Potter as a classic literature, like maybe new and extended version of Tolkien's Lord of The Rings. I know I'm not a fan, so I'm not gonna say a lot about the movie compared to the books or something like that. But as a dummy in all things Harry Potter, I shed some tears at the end of the movie, because like the director said, "...so practically, when you come to the movies to see this movie, it's like saying goodbye to the people you've been so well for the past 10 years..." It is undeniable that we grew up with Harry Potter. I grew up with it too, even though I never really enjoyed it before. When the movie ended, I can think of some fanatics that would feel like, "Okay, my life is complete now. I could die happy." And after 10 years of watching people around me getting crazed over some witch kid in Lennon-esque glasses, I finally see the glory in it. One great thing about Harry Potter is that it teaches us about bravery. Just like good looks, you cannot teach courage; it is something you learn by doing, and we might don't have the kind of courage Potter had, but we'd seen him (and read, for that matter) so that someday we will be ready to fight some Voldemorts out there. Cheers to JK Rowling and her amazing characters. She is practically one of the most admirable writers of our time.

No comments:

Post a Comment