Sunday, August 28, 2011

This time last year

I can't believe it's almost another Eid holiday! Happy Holiday you magnificent people out there!
Last year, I spent the Eid's eve in Galeries de La Fayette in Paris, and the Eid day at Eurodisney. This year I'm staying home, doing chores and trying my best to be a good daughter and granddaughter. Which one is better? Well, this year is better. Europe (in general) or Paris (in particular) was no good to spend the Eid holiday in. It will be great for Christmas or New Year's Ever or other holidays, but Eid should be celebrated right here, at home, in Indonesia. I have heard a lot of people's experiences that even in Saudi, Eid isn't celebrated the way we Indonesians celebrate it. They just don't make it the kind of wonderful festivities as we do, there's no such joy in their Eid celebrations. Last year, I had to practice my Eid shalat at my hotel a little on the outskirts of Paris near Charles de Gaulle airport. And it was boo-ring. There was no ketupat and the other foods that just get along with it, there was no other family and there was no new clothes though we did do some shopping. There was only croissant, croissant, et croissant, merci beaucoup. My Parisian hotel wasn't exactly how you'd imagine it would be, there was no proper French cuisine available and even though they did serve that kind of food, it would probably be so horrible even the French themselves can't stand it. In fact, my Parisian hotel was the worst in all the hotels I'd stayed the night in during that trip. (It's probably true that Parisians are... well, Parisian, and when it comes to hotel you have to give it to the Swiss because my Swiss hotel was extraordinaire) Back then, it was September and for some poor little Asian girl like me it was pretty cold that I had to hide my new clothes beneath my usual brown coat and shawl. It was not a cool Eid style, I have to say. But it was Paris through and through, so there was not much I can complain. Galeries de La Fayette, to me, is your usual upscale department stores with the latest Parisian fashion. In fact, I think it would be much more thrilling if in Paris we get to shop in Champs-Elysées instead of a typical mall that's full of Asian tourists queueing for tax refund. And Eurodisney, it was so small and them being French, I don't think that they have done something to improve or expand it so it was another boring day for me too.
This year, though, I'm looking forward to the excitement I'm really familiar with. Eid is a holiday; it should be joyful and exciting, though slightly boring. I will wish you a very happy Eid Mubarak, and for now, let's just be thankful that I'm home and I will celebrate it close from home.

No comments:

Post a Comment