Monday, November 5, 2012

The day I fell in love with your brain

"When I was 4 and ready to read books, I picked up my Dad's collection of Dahl's children stories. Mathilda blew my mind. She was my idea of the girl I'm going to marry: quirky as hell. I keep reading lots and lots of books from his library—his was so full of books it was like the inside of Beast's, you know, of Beauty and The Beast?—until one day I started reading Tolkien. I stopped wanting to read any other fantasy novels since then. I keep reading and reading, fell in love with Hemingway and Vonnegut... and at one point I was very into David Foster Wallace and James Joyce. But up until college starts, I lost track of who's who in literature, it's like New York breeds a new amazing name every week, and then I read Tolstoy. Who's not going to fall in love with War and Peace? It's clearly the most amazing novel I've ever read! Don't get me wrong, I really like Anna Karenina too, who won't? But while everyone thinks she's a miserable married woman, I think she's just naturally a bitch. It's probably just because of my mom being someone else's husband just days after he divorced my dad, but let's not talk about that. Anyway, have you read Dostoyevsky? I first read The Brothers Karamazov when I was in high school, and everyone thought of me as a freak because I finished it in about a week while it took me the whole term to finish The Catcher in The Rye. The thing with Holden for me is simple. I was a teenager, he was a teenager, but only one of us was being a jerk about it, and that's him. And just very recently, I finished Crime and Punishment once again. It's probably my eighth time. Russian novels are brilliant; they give you the kind of narration that's just impossible for people living in the first world like us. They can give you 50 pages description of some girl sleeping, and that's not an exaggeration. Sometimes I wish I were born Russian, blessed with the intelligence to love someone who's going to inspire me to write a novel like Fyodor. Now, I'm calling him by his first name. That's... embarrassing." 

No comments:

Post a Comment