Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Once Upon a Snowy January


We were sitting down on my couch, a soft ballad that I've never heard of playing on the TV that shows a video of somebody playing guitar in the middle of a bright forest. I looked outside, snowflakes come falling down as if dancing right outside the window. It was a gloomy day, but somehow felt bright enough to paint a beautiful picture in my head.

You were eating toast with your legs folded up in the cushion. I was just happy with my morning coffee, resting my elbow with an enormous mug on the backrest. You were talking stories about your high school years. Your mother and sisters. Your late father. The family you left and missed the most.

I did not know what I was supposed to feel about you. Until today.

Looking at you, listening to your stories. Seeing your laugh and smile. There is a voice inside my head that softly whispers, "Take a mental picture of this moment and keep it in your mind."

And I did.

So that even though it will not work well, even though this very moment was the end of it all... Even though this moment was a sign of good bye
.
.
.
I will still have this moment.

Maybe not you. Maybe not the happiness that slipped into my heart like a cup of hot tea on a cold day just like this... but this moment.

I will always have this moment.

And that would be enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment