Sunday, April 6, 2014

Preachy Writer on a Sunday

In a matter of a few weeks, I'm turning legally 21! Exciteddd.

So, before you proceed with reading, let me first warn you that this is one of those occasions where I'm going to be very preachy and talk a bit too much. So if you end up reading anyway, and you'll find that it's taking my tendency to be annoying to a whole new level, I'm just gonna tell you: told you so.

I've longed for the day when any parental consent is no longer required regardless of my actions. I always say I could not wait to grow up; which in part is true, because even though adulthood is scary, and complicated, and constantly nerve-racking, I always think that it is better to be more mature than who you really are than to stay being a kid forever. Because at the end of the day, cuteness ain't gonna pay the bills, honey! (Except if you marry rich, though. But that's not a privilege everybody has, because apparently, not everyone is an investment banker anyway, so.)

Well, not that I'm planning to do anything particularly 'adult', anyway. I've just been waiting for when whatever I say or do is no longer what people would take as a matter of immature whims. I'm probably still gonna make mistake and immature decisions, but at least with being absolutely legal, I can tell everyone that I was legal, and it was my decision, and tell them to back the hell off because it's my life.

I'm writing this post and shamelessly putting my heavily-edited office selfie for one reason and one only: I want to remind you all that, yeah, childhood is comfortable and nice and great, especially for us who were born outside of a war zone and blissfully to a loving family. But before you know it, there will come a day when you're going to wake up at 5 in the morning every weekdays (and some weekends too, perhaps) and pull yourself together, put on some make up, wear some decent (and appropriate) shirt and its combinations that could help you to look like you're taking yourself seriously, and just go to work. At the same station, doing the mostly similar paperworks, with the same regular people and blah blah. Oh, isn't life such a repetition, you might ask? Well, of course it is. 

And you might think that you're too young for this (as I still do), but there is no such thing as starting out too early. Our youth is the best time to start struggling with work; oh you know, long hours of sitting at the same desk, staring at the same computer screen, and making sure that you won't go insolvent by the end of the month just because online stores are your only kind of refreshments during lunchtime. But being young is also the right time to be ambitious---thanks to so much energy and the endless under-appreciation from senior co-workers---it is the time to prove yourself and be very, very selfish and ignorant, and all-around obnoxious, because you have to do yourself a favour and no one is gonna take you seriously if you are the same fun and humble person as you are with your closest peers. 

Awful, huh? Yeah, well... There are other options, really. You don't have to do what I'm doing. I guess I could take other options too, if I intended to. But as Kazuo Ishiguro once said, "There is another life that I might have had. But I'm having this one." I chose to choose it before it chooses me. Before it takes over my life. And before I'm going to start speaking about it with a hint of regret in my voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment