Saturday, April 5, 2014

Comme des Garcons


Disclaimer: I never claim myself a feminist, or a woman's activist, or whatever title it is that will label me with whatever it has to do with my gender. As a female, I only talk about womanhood because it is my world, and if you are not a woman, you basically have no rights to talk about what I talk about, or worse, judge me for it. Because if you've never been a woman, you'll have exactly no idea what it's like. You never have the boobs, so stick with your penis or whatever it is that you do best. I will try my best not to talk or judge manhood, or transgenderism or whatever it is that you would like to define you.

We've heard this way too many times before. You know, how they say 'the smarter the woman, the harder it is for her to find the right man' stuffs. Which, in practice, may ring true, because we've seen a lot of unmarried woman are actually very smart, sometimes even a little too smart for her own good. I thought it was just a cliche, though. Because I thought, in an era where girls are found in many cases to achieve higher than boys, our society is finally ready to settle with the idea that, "Women are smart, so let's stop being sexist and thinking that they're inferior just because they were born that way."

As a matter of fact, many people, which include some of the female species as well, won't agree with that.

This guy, whom I know pretty well is an intelligent, ambitious and forward-thinking young man, admitted that he is not looking for a girl who's smarter than him. The problem with him, though, is not his selfishness; it's more of his opinion that women always think that they are right anyway, so it would be a lot more annoying if she is, in fact, right about many things. Which is fine, by the way. To each their own.

Not that girls who can easily find a guy is dumb, no, that's clearly not an acceptable theory. But there should be no shame in being very smart, shouldn't it? In fact, I long for the day to see an investment banker who actually wear bright red blazer and skirt to meet their Wallstreet colleagues and talk about injecting money to some of the most successful public companies---with a nanny holding her baby while doing so. Who's to say that's impossible, in a man's man's world?

So, smart girls out there, hear this out:

Don't stop being the smart girl for anybody. Ever. Someday your kids are gonna thank you for your DNA. Or if you weren't blessed with one anyway, someone would. Or at least yourself, because one day you'll have enough money to pay your own cosmetic bills (God forbid they can be very expensive!!!). Keep being smart. The world is this way because we cherish so many imperfections and flaws but won't deal with smart people who could actually help make the world a better place. Do your best. I wish I were your kind of smart, too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment