Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Mindy Mind


“If someone called me chubby, it would no longer be something that kept me up late at night. Being called fat is not like being called stupid or unfunny, which is the worst thing you could ever say to me. Do I envy Jennifer Hudson for being able to lose all that weight and look smokin’ hot? Of course, yes. Do I sometimes look at Gisele Bundchen and wonder how awesome life would be if I never had to wear Spanx? Duh, of course. That’s kind of the point of Gisele Bundchen. And maybe I will, once or twice, for a very short period of time. But on the list of things I want to do in my lifetime, that’s not near the top. I mean, it’s not near the bottom either. I’d say it’s right above “Learn to drive a vespa,” but several notches below “film a chase scene for a movie.” 
Mindy Kaling deserves to be labeled as a legend --- the least being phenomenon --- thanks to her being one of the most relatable woman in Hollywood today. She is smart and funny and overall, honest, about who she is and what she isn't. It's no longer the right time to tell the world how you only keep on drinking water and thinking positively to change the shape of your jawline (if I were a doctor I sure would challenge that theory scientifically). It's the time to be honest about who you are; even if you're not exactly the kind of extrovert that Mindy Kaling is. She was, after all, a nerd. And she admitted it; never feeling ashamed or the need to hide it. It's the time to be honest how you've been the victim of racism, or that you are secretly a racist too, and how you always failed to subscribe to the idea of standard beauty recognised by the society today; I mean, it's really the time to see people way beyond their looks. It's no longer the time to talk on the internet about how you feel weird seeing an Indian woman kissing all the hot, white men on her own TV show, and it's surely no longer the time to stop admiring how hard it is to be her kind of girl just because she is of South Asian descent, not a size 2, and because you were disturbed by the idea of she was not cut out to be your standard leading lady of Hollywood, because otherwise, who's the racist one now?

P.S: Start loving Mindy, here. I would suggest you to watch the entire interview, though. It's very exhilarating.

1 comment: