Saturday, October 3, 2009

Can Music Hurts You?

"What came first – the music or the misery? Did I listen to music because I was miserable? Or was I miserable because I listened to music? Do all those records turn you into a melancholy person? People worry about kids playing with guns, and teenagers watching violent videos; we are scared that some sort of culture of violence will take them over. Nobody worries about kids listening to thousands – literally thousands – of songs about broken hearts and rejection and pain and misery and loss. The unhappiest people I know, romantically speaking, are the ones who like pop music the most; and I don’t know whether pop music has caused this unhappiness, but I do know that they’ve been listening to the sad songs longer than they’ve been living the unhappy lives." 

High Fidelity by Nick Hornby

Personally, I haven't read nor watched the movie myself, but I found this story to be quiet interesting. A line in its Wikipedia page saying, Rob and his employees Dick and Barry spend their free moments discussing mixtape aesthetics and constructing "top-five" lists of anything that demonstrates their knowledge of music. The most interesting part is the fact that #1 on his "Top Five Dream Jobs" is quiet similar to me, which is to be an NME Journalist! (but admit it, that quote above, is deep)


No comments:

Post a Comment