Sunday, August 4, 2013

The Thing With Second Chances

Do you believe in second chances?

I have been asking this question to far so many people in my life, and the answers should have made me re-think my inability to believe in it the way majority of people do.

I don't believe in second chances. The reason why would be way too personal to explain here, but just to make it clear, I don't. I think second chances are overrated, and it's just an excuse for someone to blew the first one. At the end of the day, it's the one who had to give the second chance that would have to believe once again, without an guarantee that they won't get their trusts broken again.

Don't be a bitch. What if you're the one who needs the second chance?

Maybe it's because that I haven't really been thrown in that position so far, but when I think I do, I wouldn't ask for it. Because I know what it feels like to be the one to give it away, and it didn't go so smooth. So when I blew my chance, when I know that I messed up... I forgive myself. I forgive myself for doing them, for losing the chance, and make it start to find another chance that I wouldn't blew. Forgiving myself is hard, but forgiveness is a favor we do for others and ourselves. I believe in forgiving people, because I think people need to be forgiven so that they'd be free, while my happiness is my own responsibility. If I can forgive myself, that is how I know that my happiness isn't depending on someone else's life.

But very recently I have just learned something important. You can call this thing berkah ramadhan because this is where I'm trying to re-think every judgements I've made towards second chance. I looked at my old man today, the man whose wisdom has gone around for half a century, and I learned that second chances are not overrated. It's me who's underrated it. Second chances can happen; if only you can be very, very, patient, and believe in it enough, and wanting for it enough, then it can happen. It's a hard road, rough and bumpy... but it's possible to happen. 

And the prize is going to be worth it.

2 comments: