Thursday, December 10, 2015

Yes Woman



You might have been thinking, for the past few months at least, when was the last time she wrote a book review here? Has she stopped reading or something?

Well, no, dear readers. I have not stopped reading. I never wanted to. It's just that, sometimes if I found a book is only slightly remarkable, I wouldn't take the time to bother writing reviews about it. Of course, they still get a review, though mostly they stay at my Goodreads (some very good ones aren't here too, because I'm lazy that way). So if you give a shit about what I've been reading, go check it out instead. And why am I here again, reviewing another book and not being lazy about it? Well, because, anything for Shonda.

Reading Shonda's memoir is like reading into the mind of Meredith Grey and aspiring to possess what Cristina Yang has inside of her. I don't really watch Grey's Anatomy, but I know those women. They are fierce as hell. They are, in a sense, is how I imagine Shonda is like.

What surprises me is how much she and I share opinions about some aspects in life. These are the opinions that may not be popular among women, especially in Asia. My peers wouldn't understand this. No one around me would think I'm crazy for thinking it, and I should be ashamed or feel worried or talk to a therapist or something. So outrageous some of them are, that I won't talk about it here. You should do yourself a favor and read the book. Thank me later.

Shonda, I know that you won't be reading this, but here's the thing: When you said that you only ever write about one thing, and that is being alone, and that it's really the fundamental need of a human being to know that they are not alone... I feel like I want to thank you. Thank you for having the greatness in you so your voice is heard to the world, so people like me know that we are not alone. Thank you for writing the most quotable book I read in 2015, if not ever. Thank you for sharing your story.

Thank you for creating Cristina Yang.

No comments:

Post a Comment