Friday, February 6, 2009

And I Don't Want To Live This Life



Seems like everyone's already preparing for St. Valentine's Day today, what's your plan, huh?





February for me means love is in the air. I guess my February will be perfect with, let's say, a box of Hershey's chocolate? Or reading "Love Letters of Great Men"?

I choose reading all about punk rock's very own Romeo and Juliet, Sid Vicious and Nauseating Nancy. I almost had my tears rolling down my face.

Why don't I enjoy my own Valentine? Well, it's sad to confess that I don't have any. Or I have failed my plan to gain any.

Ah, Sid. His life was an agony. His upbringing, his career, his relationships, his death… I never seen someone so self-destructive like him, his life was very vibrant, very interesting.

His relationship with Nancy Spungen was memorable. They are punk rock’s very own Romeo and Juliet, with dirty needles and hideous Mohawks. Actually I think of them when I saw Kate Moss-Pete Doherty or Amy Winehouse-Blake Fielder-Civil, very violent but deeply in love. See the movie Sid and Nancy (1986) by Alex Cox, it’s cool.

What a shame he died before he was 23. Some of the most iconic people died before their 30th birthday, remember Kurt Cobain?

I love Kurt too, “Smells Like Teen Spirits” is probably one of the best songs ever. I like Courtney Love, she’s very eccentric, and why do people always mock at her, that’s stupid. So what if she looks dreadful? She’s a rockstar, she’s got attitude and Frances Bean with her.


Sid is undeniably very iconic. Some rockstars appear to look like him. He really did, live fast die young. But I guess it was fine for him to die young, he's made his life to the fullest anyway.

He allegedly murdered her, though I don't really believe that. No matter how high he was, I don't think he could kill the girl he really loved. Good thing he was dead in peace and silence. Nancy's mom, Deborah, wrote a book titled "And I Don't Want To Live This Life", which was a line from Sid's poem dedicated to Nancy after her death. I haven't read the book yet--I wish I will, a.s.a.p--but it was opened with the beautiful poem written by such a sick guy.

You were my little baby girl,
And I shared all your fears.
Such joy to hold you in my arms
and kiss away your tears.
But now you're gone, there's only pain
and nothing I can do.
And I don't want to live this life,
If I can't live for you.
To my beautiful baby girl.
Our love will never die...

No comments:

Post a Comment