Monday, February 2, 2009

Wizard of Oz

Between exams, I try not to get stressed out. in fact I could be pretty relaxed but it's math exam coming up and I really suck in it. and I always find movies as a nice stress antidote.

When I was a kid, I watched “The Wizard of Oz” almost everyday. I really love Dorothy! I thought the color is far-fetched, very different than any other movies in late 90s, and the story was kind of pretty cool. I love Toto, the Scarecrow, the Tin Man and the Wicked Witch. I mean, I really hate her while I was watching it but even the 3-year-old me understand that she did a great job with it. I watched it by, err… I don’t remember the name… Laser Disc? It’s like a DVD but as big as a music vinyl. And there was no subtitle, which is weird how can a 3 year old enjoy it without knowing what they were saying? Really, I was 3 at the time. I hadn’t started kindergarten yet, that’s why I could watch it everyday. You see, it’s a miracle too, right? It came even in the simplest way I never think of.

I didn’t realize that it was made in 1939. Now that explains why it was different than any other movies.

Wow, even the Dutch were still here. Hitler was still alive. And I’m celebrating its almost 70th birthday.

It was so depressing when Dorothy was back on the farm. I love Oz. I think it’s beautiful. I wasn’t the only girl who wanted to have a pair of sparkly shoes. When TopShop launched a pair of red flats but with strap on the middle, I couldn’t help buying it but then… I didn’t find my size. Ooh God I hate it when I have to let go of my favorite stuffs!

I wish I could see this movie again, because I can’t play that goddamn large disc anymore. Why is it, that vinyls, are still very popular, even got the cult status in music world, but Laser Disc, lost its popularity between all this freaking movie discs?

I’m just happy until today I never heard someone is gonna remake it on Hollywood. I guess some movies are better stay classic, let’s say, Breakfast at Tiffany’s, The Breakfast Club, Gone With The Wind and well, The Wizard of Oz.

1 comment:

  1. arien salam kenal(padahal udah kenal)

    Hollywood technology was more advanced in the 1930's than others. Have you watched "Gone With The Wind"??? That's oscar-best picture winner in 1939. Just "superb"!!!:-)

    ReplyDelete