Sunday, February 15, 2009

My Daddy, My Valentine

How was your Valentine’s Day, everyone? It might be too western, but, well I agree if someone says V-day is needed so that people can, at least once in a year, remember about love. I can say I didn’t celebrate it, but surely enough my Valentine this year is the most incredible man in my life, my father.

As I’ve told you before, my father is a very generous man. Something about him keeps me sane and makes me feel kind of safe. He might not make a bank at home, or a black belt in karate, but he protects his children in any way possible.

Anyway, we went out with my sister to see The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. And I looove this film!

At first it was boring. On the schedule it was 14.00 sharp, but then this short movie with no dialogue presented by a whitening brand showed up for about 20 minutes. Turns out it was only two and a half hour.

It didn’t start boring like other Oscar movies. I remember not long after the opening, a character who made the clock ticking anti-clockwise saying, “I made it that way. Because I was hoping for some time to be back, so that some people who went and died in war could be back. I wanted my son to be back home safely, marry a woman, having a child…” which he got a really good respect for. People respect his idea. And soon after, he died of extreme mourn.

No review here, just… well, I’d like to say that it taught people a lot about life, and love. It’s pretty romantic, actually. But it scares me to death how it gave me the idea of a limited life, where you know that there’s always a limit for time that you can live. I finally realized how I’ve wasted my life doing trashy things, and that I don’t actually seize my days. Even so, it’s flattering to know that everyone is the same, we’re going the same direction. Me, you, all people related to us, Bill Gates, Oprah Winfrey, Paris Hilton, Joe Jonas, Queen Elizabeth… Even Benjamin was going the same direction too. Not because we all end up in diapers, but, how we’re all alone.

Good news is, we’re all together in that loneliness too.

One of my best friends, Nadia, told me about this whole freaking idea of life and death (before I saw this movie):

”Lo pernah denger nggak sih? Katanya ya, waktu kita lahir, kita nangis sendirian sementara semua orang tersenyum, semua orang bahagia buat kita. Tapi saat kita meninggal nanti, semua orang bakal menangis dan berduka buat kita, sementara kita, semoga aja kita berhasil hidup dengan bener, bakal tersenyum sendirian. Pas gue denger itu, rasanya kayak, lega banget gitu. Kayak plong banget.”
Which I felt the same about. And I have a feeling that the person who said that has understood about the loneliness we’re all dealing with.

There are so many life lessons from Benjamin Button, so just see it. I don’t think it’s boring, I think it’s good. But then, good or bad is relative to everyone, so… I have no rights to say. But it’s definitely not a feel-good movie. You’d get out of the cinema feeling a little blue (if not dark).

One next thing about my V-day, is after dinner we’re heading to a CD store in Mahakam. We wanted to get the money back for the Rihanna ticket I’ve bought but it was too late so we have to come back the next day! No worries, no disappointment should appear on Valentine’s day. My Daddy bought me Oasis’ “What’s the Story? (Morning Glory)”. I love this album even though I never own it. Anyway I was only 2 when it came out. He knows I love this kind of bands, he’s the only one in the world who supports my worship to The Beatles. I think it’s a shame why I don’t worship musicians he recommended me like Led Zeppelin, Bob Dylan or Alison Moyet. But I love Nat King Cole, though.

Even when I got home and my daddy received a call from my mother, who’s in Bali with my another sister, to tell that she (my sister) hit a car and had to pay some cash, he didn’t get angry. Well, he was, I could see it in his eyes. But I didn’t feel it, I didn’t hear anger in his voice. What a very loving man. My father is probably one of the reasons why I feel so lucky in this life, even though I don’t own a whole closet full of Manolos.

No comments:

Post a Comment